An auto mechanic performs maintenance, diagnostic testing, repairs, and inspections of small trucks and cars.
They work on engines, drive belts, transmissions, and electronic systems such as steering, brakes, and accident-avoidance systems.
What are the main duties of a mechanic?
- Building and assembling machines or mechanical components according to requirements.
- Inspecting machines, engines, transmissions etc. and run diagnostic tests to discover functionality issues.
- Conducting repairs aiming for maximum reliability.
What skills do you need to be a car mechanic?
The 8 Top Talents of Every Great Auto Mechanic
- Customer service skills. Being a great mechanic involves more than identifying problems, repairing or replacing worn parts and knowing the difference between the camshaft and crankshaft.
- Diagnostic skills.
- Work ethic.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Technical aptitude.
- A wide array of knowledge.
Do mechanics make good money?
Generally, mechanics make a decent living, earning a median annual salary of $36,600. But most are paid according to a “flat-rate” system, meaning that they only make money when there is actual work to be done.
What is the purpose of a mechanic?
JOB PURPOSE: Maintains fleet of vehicles to include automobiles, trucks and various other types of powered equipment. CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Performs repairs and maintenance procedures; diagnose, test, adjust, and repair mechanical systems of gas, diesel and hybrid vehicles.