- How long does it take to become an auto mechanic?
- How long does it take to become an ASE certified mechanic?
- How much does mechanic school cost?
- How do you become an auto mechanic?
- What is the difference between mechanic and technician?
- How much does an ASE certified mechanic make per hour?
- Do mechanics make good money?
- Can you become ASE certified without going to school?
- Are auto mechanics in demand?
How long does it take to become an auto mechanic?
How long does it take to complete an auto mechanic program?
Certificate or diploma programs from vocational schools usually take one to two years, or less.
Colleges and universities can offer associate’s degree programs that include general education courses, and may take up to four years to complete.
How long does it take to become an ASE certified mechanic?
In addition to passing an ASE Certification test, automotive technicians must have two years of on the job training or one year of on the job training and a two-year degree in automotive repair to qualify for certification. The tests are challenging.
How much does mechanic school cost?
Depending on your geographic location, it’s possible to find 18-week certificate programs for around $5,000-$5,500 for tuition and related fees. Associate degree — An associate degree program in auto mechanics generally costs about $10,000-$25,000 and takes two years to complete.
How do you become an auto mechanic?
Five Steps to Become a Mechanic
- Step 1: Complete a High School Education or GED. You’ll first need to obtain a high school diploma or GED.
- Step 2: Enroll in a Vocational Education Program.
- Step 3: Obtain a Certificate.
- Step 4: Receive Employer Training.
- Step 5: Become a Master Mechanic.
What is the difference between mechanic and technician?
There are several differences between auto mechanics and auto technicians. One key difference is their area of expertise. While an auto technician’s specialty lies with handling the technical, computer aspects of your vehicle; an auto mechanic is more equipped to handle the mechanical aspects of repair.
How much does an ASE certified mechanic make per hour?
According to SimplyHired.com, as of May 29, 2015, the average annual income for an A.S.E.-certified master technician is $45,000. At the height of their careers, some master automotive mechanics can expect to make twice that much. Most are not salaried; most are paid per hour and a few via commission.
Do mechanics make good money?
Generally, mechanics make a decent living, earning a median annual salary of $36,600. But most are paid according to a “flat-rate” system, meaning that they only make money when there is actual work to be done.
Can you become ASE certified without going to school?
Answer: No. There are no classes or courses that are required to take an ASE test. However, to become certified in most specialty areas, you must pass one or more of the certification tests and have two or more years of hands-on work experience.
Are auto mechanics in demand?
Automotive service technicians and mechanics might work at gasoline stations or at automotive parts, accessories and tire stores. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects 6.1 percent employment growth for auto mechanics between 2016 and 2026. In that period, an estimated 45,900 jobs should open up.